Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Journeys in Art

This week in art has kind of taken me by surprise. I've completed 2 mixed media paintings and started a third. When I say mixed media the only thing added aside from my normal painting is some cool scrapbooking papers. There's been a HUGELY positive response to the two paintings which makes me feel like I'm on the right track. But there is a downside to this too. Yesterday while working on the third piece I got to thinking about copyrights and scrapbooking. I'm not a scrapbooker and using the papers is brand new to me so this question was bound to come up, I'm very happy that it came up before I went any farther... So there's one particular type of paper that I'm drawn to, tons of antique style papers and such. I decided to write an e-mail to the head of the company and got a reply rather quickly. So here's the deal, if you plan to reproduce or license your art which includes scrapbooking papers, you can't. Well not using the paper I like anyway. There are companies that allow use through what is called an 'Angel Policy' but hunting them down and then finding the papers that you like just seems like too much trouble. So, the two finished paintings that I did will have to be altered in Photoshop so that I can license them. Irritating to say the least and I could go on about this but what are you going to do? So I'll just find my own gems of antique ephemera then use them how ever I like. But before I get started on that I'll show you the second painting title "Ocean Traveler". It will be traveling to it's new home in Arkansas tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment